Checking it's safe for picket fence spike in lawn.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

So basically my garden is probably about 9m by about 5m. The first 3.5 metres outside the back door is patio then the rest is lawn/mud.

I wanted to install a picket fence to separate the patio from the grass but I need to install about 5 drive in ground spikes for the posts.

Well that was my plan. Is there a safer way to do the posts like maybe digging and concreting them in and how deep would it have to be? I think the picket fence is about a metre high.

I asked the gas, water and electric companies for the cable plans. Is that the right way to go?

It doesn't feel like there would be any cables or pipes under there but I would rather be sure.

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Very unlikely that there would be something there. A metre high fence only needs 30 cm in the ground.
Are there any electrical components in the garden?

you could fit posts into the ground by digging, one at each end, and build the fence between them.
Fewer posts in the ground, and the built fence could screw to the posts.
That way the fence is easier to remove and paint.

Spikes will be less intrusive than concrete spurs, the bottom third of which is normally concreted in. An outside tap should indicate where the water pipes go, likewise any outdoor electrics, but check with the utilities if it's a concern.

Blup

Thanks. There is nothing electric in the garden or nearby and no drains etc.

I was going to use those hammer in spikes but I think they are normally 75cm deep. I just thought they would protect from rot and would be easy if I needed to change a post. Like you said though it only needs 30cm.

I have the panels and posts already so they will get a few coats of paint first.

Sponsored Links
Spikes will be less intrusive than concrete spurs, the bottom third of which is normally concreted in. An outside tap should indicate where the water pipes go, likewise any outdoor electrics, but check with the utilities if it's a concern.

Blup

Thank you. There is no outside tap at the mo. That's on my to-do list later on.

I have contacted utilities anyway as I might as well. No signs of electric outside anywhere though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back