Chemical cleaner/flush advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I am going to install a magnaclean device and thought this would be a good opportunity to clean through the radiators/pipes. I don't have time to take the rads off or do a full machine flush so I was just going to circulate some Sentinel X800 and then drain down the system before fitting the filter. However I have few questions:

Is just draining down the system enough to shift out any debris and the X800 or would I really need to follow up with a flush?

The water coming out of the system is currently pretty clear and I have no issues with any rads, so do I actually really need to add X800 as I have read that if there are currently no issues this may invite some by loosening debris?

Any advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
X400 is milder. Being non-aggressive it is safe to circulate for several weeks before you drain. IMO it is very suitable for a simple DIY clean.

Each drain will not get everything out, but you will find the Magnaclean gradually collects whatever is left and still circulating, after the X400 has loosened it, and more gets disturbed every time you drain and refill. You will notice the amount captured reduces every time you empty it because there is less remaining In the system. This reduces the risk that there will be much loosened debris circulating to cause a problem.

X400 does not do any damage even if you don't drain it, but after about 4 weeks its detergent power reduces and the sediment starts to settle again, so it would be a pity not to drain it before then.

X800 is highly aggressive and the system would need flushed after using it, yes.

If the system water is clean and there is no blackness then leave it well alone, no need to even drain as the system water is probably nicely balanced. Shut the rads down at both ends when draining for the filter, counting the turns of the lockshields so they can be reinstated as the same settings.

Just ensure it is well inhibited.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back