chemical cleaning prior to changing radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

as we are just about to change radiators, i was just wondering if there is any decent chemical cleaning that i can apply to our conventional boiler to help clean up sludge build up in old pipes. I can perhaps ask plumber to drain system and then add the chemical and leave for few days prior to changing radiators..

i know power washing is better but i also know the risks of doing this in old systems...

ta

Sponsored Links
Why clean the old rads?

Surely better to fit the new ones and clean the system then?

Tony

As Tony says. Best of both worlds would be to drain and flush again with plain water before changing the rads, then refill afterwards with Fernox F3 cleaner and run it for a few days, this will clean the pipes and new rads, finally flush again and refill with F1 Protector. Time-consuming but easy enough as a DIY job. Your plumber may have his own favourite chemicals and methods.

You used to be able to buy a citric acid based descaler which if correctly used was good on old systems but it required careful neutralisation and I don't think it's available any more.

HTH

Thanks for your replies. Yes, you are right I hadn't thought that I will in effect be cleaning the old radiators if I do it prior to replacing them.

Sponsored Links
If your system is fed by an F&E tank in the loft, leave the ball valve open and supply to it on, when you drain down. This will help flush out the system whilst draining and will prove any blockages that may be in the feed and vent if it's close coupled. Let it run through for an hour or so and then shut off feed to the F&E.

There are many citric acid based cleansers still available. The Fernox DS40 being the best known. But its formulation has changed and its not as good in my view.

But no acid based chemical should be used in an old system except very carefully, and not for DIY use, as its likely to cause leaking in an older system.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back