Chemical Damproof and Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any one advise, I have bought a cottage, some walls have had a chemical damproof, (very thick wall about 20 inches thick). However the plasterer did not use the correct additive and therefore we have salt deposits on the wall. The walls are painted in emulsion paint.
My question is, is this caussing any damage to the wall, or is it purely decorative. I have had a quote to hack off plaster and re do. This is approx £3000 for the cottage. If this is not casuing damage, I would rather just sand the wall every year and re paint.
Any help greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
I had problems with salt deposits after a damp proof course, turned out that it was remidied by new guttering, have a look at yours next time it really rains!! means youll get wet

Sponsored Links
Stuart, the salts in themselves will only cause decorative spoiling but the chances are that they are hygroscopic and will continue to draw moisture into the wall from the atmosphere. If the plasterer hasn't used a salt retardant in then it may well need doing again anyway. Salt contaminated plaster will continue to cause damp problems.

I'm guessing this property is quite old? It would be useful to know how old and how the walls are constructed before giving you a fuller answer.
Please read my previous posts for advice in dealing with rising damp and salt problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back