Cherry Tree near to house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi People,

I have recently moved house and now have a 10ft cherry tree in my front garden which is 8ft away from the front wall of my house.
I am concerned about the roots growing into and damaging the foundations, and also wondering how tall the tree is likely to grow. Should I be concerned, maybe dig it up, or is it not likely to cause any damage.
Do you know if the cherry tree has particularly strong roots, as it’s also nearby to an underground surface water drain pipe.

Also (if am to keep the tree), to maintain its current height, do I just keep chopping the top off or is there a special method to it.

Many thanks for your comments
Carl

Sponsored Links
Ornamental flowering cherries have really thick roots that are just below the surface. (sometimes catch them with the mower etc). Thet travel far beyond the drip line of the crown and I've even seen them 30 -40 ft away from the stem.

Tree roots will only damage buildings, water pipes etc if they can find away in i.e damage is already present. They will however, easily raise pathways, drives etc.

Reduce the crown back by 1/3 each year to kep under control. Pretty hard to prune these as the branches tend to be horizontally growing with not much height, therefore best to be done from the ground with a long reach pruner.

Nothing to worry about, if its too much and too close, raise it to the groung and plant something with all year interest.

[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back