Chicken

C

calorific

No doubt many of us on here like a bit of chicken and buy convenient bags of breasts, wings or drumsticks (or whatever your fancy is) to cook with whatever sauce you go for.

On Sunday, we bought an ordinary unfrozen chicken (well it might have been at some stage, but not when we got it from the shop) and cooked it, Crikey, how different the flavour was; it actually tasted of chicken. Makes one wonder how we have let our taste buds accept $hite food and have convinced ourselves it tastes nice, when in fact it is just bland.

Have any of you had a similar experience of tasting something, er, tasty owing to it being less processed for convenience cooking?

Sponsored Links
Dig up your lawns and flowerbeds and grow your own then you'll definately be tasting real food.
Hope you made soup out of the chicken carcass.

I've just had trotters for my dinner along with tattees , swede and onions from the garden (well the veggies not the trotter) , messy to eat but so so tasty :D

Intend to grow some veg next year.
Sadly we wasted the opportunity to use the carcass since we let the cats have it. We need to make sure that they (the cats) have enough roughage to go and dump on all our neighbours' lawns :mrgreen:

Garden veggies reet tasty but hardish work and don't think you will save money over Tesco. You need good muck and lots of it and takes a few years to work it all out.

One courgette plant is more than enough and you can never have too many parsnips.

Paying an extra couple of pounds per kilo for chicken also well worth it but you need to find a decent butcher with a local supply of free range birds.

Sponsored Links
Better than the butcher is a local farmer who will top & tail it for you. (head and feet removed, though probably have to pluck it yourself). Now that is what you call tasty! Haven't had one like that for about 4 or 5 years but can still remember what it was like with mash, roasties, carrot & turnip, peas and gravy! Scrumptious!

'Er Indoors always used to get meat from the supermarket, and I would always moan that it was nothing like the quality that my mum used to get from local butcher. After trying the meat from our butcher instead of the supermarket, have found it much better quality. Tender and much more flavour.

Have to agree about home grown fruit and veg. A lot of supermarket stuff tastes of nothing. Pulling the stuff out of the ground yourself is worlds apart. Saves a lot of money too - eg. shop lettuce 80p - home grown = next to nothing.

We have an apple tree in our garden (not sure of variety) and the apples are sweet and taste of apples. Shop stuff tastes of nothing.

This links in with what I was saying on the 50's food thread about how using traditional methods in the production of food today is the only same as how food used to be produced in the good old days.

It's not an advance... "New" organic produce may indeed be more flavoursome than the forced food commonly sold today, but it's only the same as food produced in yesteryear.

This links in with what I was saying on the 50's food thread about how using traditional methods in the production of food today is the only same as how food used to be produced in the good old days.

It's not an advance... "New" organic produce may indeed be more flavoursome than the forced food commonly sold today, but it's only the same as food produced in yesteryear.

Yes, all this organic, free range stuff makes me laugh. It's sold as a premium product. Years ago, organic and free range was the norm, not a lifestyle choice.

Trouble is the normal, non-organic produce can be pretty awful these days. One example is the taste-free, cheap tomatoes that come out of Spain. They re grown in vast greenhouses. No soil is used anywhere. The plants grow in rockwool, and are drip fed metered amounts of water that have precise amounts of nutrients added to make the plant grow and produce taste-free tomatoes.

As the population continues to increase and cheap food needs to be grown in ever greater quantities, this situation will get worse.

I imagine there a lot of people out there who have not tasted chicken, even though they get chicken from the supermarket every week :confused:

I get all my meat from a local abbatoir, they started supplying chicken couple of years back. The taste in the lamb, beef, pork is good, but the price compared to the supermarket is excellent, the difference in the taste of chicken, well I wont ever buy chicken from a supermarket again :p

Who wants to eat a chicken thats fed steroids and all sorts of chemicals, then ends up on your supermarket shelf at 6-8 weeks old :eek:

Organic veg is a major source of e-coli, as the muck is often not washed off properly. So be careful!

We always get meat from the butchers. Not just because of quality, but to support our local shops. They are friendly, reasonably priced, and provide good advice on how to cook some things you don't normally have.

Eat steak when properly hung. The taste is wonderful. That was the one thing about the USA (Philly area) - burgers, steaks were hung & cooked properly. I love a medium rare burger or steak.

Our food in Winter comes from (mostly), our local market. Well, the meat, fish, veggies, eggs, cheese, bread etc. We buy chrisps, choc and booze from the supermarket.

In the summer, all our veg & fruit is from a local PYO.

Our local butcher used to provide really tasty meat...

They then expanded, and we started to find some of their stuff tasted a bit funny..

Turns out they had started to use carbonic gas in their preservation process...

It ended up tasting like the supermarket cr*p!

No doubt many of us on here like a bit of chicken and buy convenient bags of breasts, wings or drumsticks (or whatever your fancy is) to cook with whatever sauce you go for.

On Sunday, we bought an ordinary unfrozen chicken (well it might have been at some stage, but not when we got it from the shop) and cooked it, Crikey, how different the flavour was; it actually tasted of chicken. Makes one wonder how we have let our taste buds accept $hite food and have convinced ourselves it tastes nice, when in fact it is just bland.

Have any of you had a similar experience of tasting something, er, tasty owing to it being less processed for convenience cooking?

Yeh I know exactly what your on about ,We got a proper chicken a bit back It took me right back to when I was a kid,I had forgotten what it should taste like, we have definitley traded down.

Sponsored Links
Back