Chickens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My chickens are great ! I have three ex batts, a maran, seabright and a polish silkie. It costs me next to nothing to keep them as the local wood yard supplies the saw dust, the run was made from re cycled wood and a donated picnic table. Their favourite trick of the day is to ransack the cats dish and contents. They have supplied me with lots of eggs and the neighbours have had quite a few as well. They are great little pets.

Sponsored Links
I don't understand your post. Ex battery chickens are often called ex batts, many chicken lovers use this term. I never said my polish silkie was an ex batt. How can it be ?. Silkies are not used in battery farming.

Sponsored Links
We're thinking of keeping chickens when we move out into the sticks as the neighbours round here will only complain about chicken feed attracting rats, the mrs wants the ones with the feathery feet, was told they could be polish bantams but we'd have to research it, looking around on google images bought these 3 characters up, i believe these are silkies, i defy anybody not to fall in love with em...

I live in a a built up residential area and I have had no problems with the chickens. My neighbours never complain about their clucking and I have never had a problem with rats. I do have two cats so maybe the cats are in seventh heaven chasing them off.

I am sure once you get your chickens you will love them. They all have personalities...... believe me! Happy chicken keeping.

I know how you feel about the eggs as I don't eat them. My stomach turns at the thought of eating a runny egg. Yak. The neighbours love them and it keeps them happy.

I keep hens and they are great pets. I have Rhode Island reds. They also make great waste disposal units as they will eat absolutely anything.

They eat my leftovers, provide me with breakfast, provide me with fertilizer to grow my dinner an warn me when anyone unknown approaches. What's not to like?

Sponsored Links
Back