Childs Swing into Concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi (hope this is in the correct forum section),

I've finally got round to concreting a childs swing into concrete in the back garden following 'nagging' from one of my daughters. It has been pegged into the grass for nigh on 6 years, and although this has never caused any problems the children are getting larger and heavier and it's time the swing was secured a little more strongly!

I wasn't entirely sure how I would go about it but it appears to have worked out (surprisingly!) well.
* I dug 4 holes for each leg;
* filled with concrete;
* set up a line from hole and used a spirit level on the line before measuring * the distance from concrete base to the line level (so ok so far?);
* placed the 4 legs back on the (set) concrete the next day and marked out the holes (from the 'foot') where I was to drill in for the bolts.
* drilled the holes for M8 anchor bolts using the required 14mm masonry bit...the concrete was pretty tough and took nigh on 5 mins for each hole...a right fight on my hands!
* tapped in the anchor bolts then set the swing back down placing the feet over the bolts...hey presto - the measurements were spot on (unbelievably considering the drill slid off the mark on each occasion) and although the swing is set on uneven ground the level was spot on!

...however...I finger tightened the nuts onto the bolts (prematurely pleased that the project was a success!) and then went to complete with a spanner...but the they wouldn't tighten :(
It appears the bolts are turning within the hole. Whenever this has happend on an interior wall I would add a little reinforcement in the hole and all would be well.
Really not sure what I can do with these...I thought anchor bolts would 'expand' and grip once I tightened them up? I can't really go to the next size up (M10?) as the bolts wouldn't fit through the swings feet hole and I don't wish to drill the holes again...sooo...any tips for rescuing me??
Aside from filling in the top of the holes/base of the swing with more concrete (which I'd prefer not to do) is there a way of reinforcing the bolts...some kind of resin I can add to the bolt holes perhaps?? The concrete was really tough so shouldn't really being 'giving in' when bolts are tightened.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
^^ Attach the bolts to the 'feet' first then tighten slightly before loweing them back in? I presume this will increase the, um, girth of the bolts a little?
Many thanks breezer, I'll give that a whirl later today.
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back