Connecting timber gate to brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am connecting a timber post to the brick wall of my house.

I have got M10 150mm anchor bolts from b and q. I have drilled a counter sinc hole (28mm) in the post which as the moment is too small as the hole won't accept my 17mm socket.

In the middle of this I have drilled a 10mm hole through which the bolt will pass.

I will drill the hole in the wall (16mm) tomorrow, in which the bolt will fit.

As it stands, the bolt will not 'bite' the rawl plug as the countersink hole is too shallow. If I drill a lot deeper will this be a problem or will it not effect anything at all?

Also, how deep should I drill the hole for the rawl plug part of the anchor bolt? Am I meant to drill deeper than the length of the plug, as there is a bit in the middle that allows me to screw the bolt in further?

Lastly, how wide does the counter sinc hole have to be to take my 17mm socket?

Thanks for your help. Sorry if they seem such simple questions... Am new to this!

Mark

Sponsored Links
These bolts come in a wide variety of length and width, don't overtighten them as I have done in the past as they can rip the thread you cut in the brick, then you have to screw them back out and drill and fix in another brick.

Sponsored Links
B&Q don't stock them yet, most builders merchants do.

Would m8 be okay to use even though I have drilled for m10 width?

Why are you not using a piece of 4x2 for the postand then just fixing it with some 100mm screws and brown plugs?

Would m8 be okay to use even though I have drilled for m10 width?

Whatever size drill you have used get the bolt for that size, they recomend 50mm min depth' go 100mm then screw in a good 3"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back