Chimney breast lintel opinions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, started to remove/open up the chimney breast in this 1930s house for a hob top.

Breast is 1545mm wide
Lintel is 1200mm wide
The ends of the lintel sit on 150mm of brick

This is the first time so unsure on a few things;
1. The brick work inside the chimney is only sporadically tied into the front wall with bricks going side ways. Do I need to support the inside section with anything or is it another being tied into the front facing wall?

2. Most annoyingly the brick pictured on the right hand side has come loose and the brick below hasn't broken off cleanly so I'm concerned the overall support for the lintel is no longer enough? How could I rectify this?

Any other points you notice please let me know.

Many thanks
IMG_20240216_171843.jpg
IMG_20240216_171835.jpg
IMG_20240216_171829.jpg
IMG_20240216_171822.jpg

Sponsored Links
My next question would be best way to block off the chimney and fit an extractor hood. Presumably get a steel plate with some insulation in there just above the lintel, cut out a section for a extractor and run a duct up, through the side of the breast and out the side of the house.

Not sure I'd bother with the steel; are you expecting bricks to fall down the chimney on a regular basis? Have the duct angled slightly downwards from inside to outside

Sponsored Links
True, more just the odd bit of rubble but I guess the hood will deal with that ok. I've seen people mention clean and sweeping the chimney before sealing it, if I put a vent brick in to keep airflow is this needed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back