Chimney breast problem

M

marsaday

I have a chimney breast in the attic which has had some water damage in the past. The problem is sorted now, but the plaster board is still damp.

i dont want to ripp it all off and reline it so is there anything i can do to get rid of the brown staining and the way the paint peels off easily ?

I thought you can PVA it all and then repaint. Is that possible ?

Sponsored Links
Firstly allow the area to fully dry out then apply one coat of Alkali Resisting Primer prior to decorating.

By the way stay well clear of PVA!!

Dec

ok thanks. Will this primer go over the current painted area or do i need to try and strip it off first (the flaky stuff i mean).

Also what happens if it still stays a bit damp ?

I have 2 problems effectivley in the same house. The top section near the roof is sorted and this promer will deal with that, but the lounge section is damp for some reason. It is nothing to do with rain water and more to do with condensation.

Sponsored Links
You will of course need to remove any loose and flaking paintwork before you apply the primer, yet you cannot apply it if the areas are still damp. You will have to first cure the ingress of moisture and allow the wall time to dry out.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back