Chimney breast removal advice.

Poe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a couple of quick questions.

The chinmey breast had already been removed from the loft up.

So looking to remove down to ground level.

It's on the gable end.

Does removing a chimney breast (constructed internally) cause any weakness in the end wall?

And the other question is is it ok to cut the bricks that once tied the chimney to the inner wall leaf with a hammer and chisel or should they be cut with a grinder.

It's a lived in house so would like to avoid making any more first than is needed.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It makes the wall weaker but whether that is a problem depends on the length/height of the wall.

If the wall is no longer than 6m and has fully bonded returns at each end it's unlikely to be an issue.

Vaulted roofs, floors not connected to the external walls, unusual construction materials may mean you need to get structural engineer advice.

Thanks for the reply,
I've only just seen it as I've been away.
The house is normal cavity wall construction and about 75 years old.
I'm sure a few of the other houses here have done it although that doesn't mean it's ok.
Maybe I'll double check with a SE first.
Cheers.

If its a gable pediment, & the pediment was built off snapped headers then it might be a fragile triangle of brickwork.

Sponsored Links
Hi tell80,
No, it's not a fancy pediment gable.
Just a normal brick built cavity wall.
I've got to get an SE out at some point to go over a couple things so I'll bring it to with them.
Cheers.

Snapped headers dont mean fancy work. They merely mean the pediment is single brick built on the headers.
From outside you would see a full course of headers in line with the wall plates.

Removing the breast won't affect the inner leaf strength as long as the leaf is suitably made good with bonded masonry where the flue and old breast was.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back