Chimney Breast Removal Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - looking for some advice.

Just moved into an old Victorian bungalow which had two chimneys - one in each of the current bedrooms.

The house has a loft conversion which was done years ago, so the chimney stacks have been completely removed.

All that is left is the two chimney breasts at ground level. I would like to get these knocked out to open up more space.

Since the stacks have already been removed, (so nothing to support above) what are the chances that the remaining breast is not structural and could just be knocked out?

I would plan on doing this myself with my Dad as he has just removed his whole chimney himself - but his looked a lot more simple as it was not against another brick wall, virtually freestanding. The ones I have in my house are built up against brick walls.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't be a problem, provided you have a few walls at right angles to the walls with the breasts to maintain lateral stability. I never know whether you need to involve building control in this situation, I think not, given that when I did mine (steels in loft), it was all signed off and completion certificate issued as soon as the steels were in. One of the breasts is still there 5 years later!

I'd be fairly certain a single sided breast will be tied to the main wall rather than built in, but, with the Victorians, you can never be certain. Just go carefully to start with and you'll soon know. Assuming this is brick, I'd guess a tie brick every 5 or 7 courses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back