chimney breast removal..what next ?

G

george765

I have now support the chimney breast in the loft as per s/e spec' and have removed the breast down through the upstairs bedrooms to upper floor level.
I assume the floor joist are supported by the wide chimney breast so what do I do next ?
I guess acro the floor before removing the rest of the breast to ground floor level, but what do you do about the joists that now don't reach the opposite wall ?
do you replace the whole joist or can you extend the original ?
thanks,
'diy'george

Sponsored Links
Each side of breast, should be a trimmer joist with another trimmer between them which supports the joist within the width of breast.
Take the brickwork out down to underside of first floor joists and then you will see the trimmers.
When breast down infill with new joists to opening as required.
Regards oldun

Sponsored Links
many thanks

Many thanks to you George for coming back to personally thank us for trying to offer you advice.

It does our heart good to know that there are kind folk out there who, either push the thanks button or come back the same as you to express their appreciation.

Once again George thank you.

Regards oldun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back