Chimney breast removal and floor joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to remove a downstairs chimney breast and a little bit concerned if the chimney breast itself is supporting the floor joists. It's in the kitchen (Victorian house) and used to contain the kitchen range so is fairly substantial. Hopefully the photo shows the position of the joists "sat" on the brick work (ignore the wiring - this will be tidied up!). All apart from one of the joists are are fixed into the wall as well as supported by the chimney breast.

All the chimney beast above this had previously been removed.

There is also one joist that is positioned on its side (marked in red on the photo) - this is sat on an old floorboard on the chimney breast but is not attached to any floor boards as it's not high enough. Not sure what the purpose of this is and don't understanding why it's supported by the chimney breasts.

Had a structural engineer take a quick look (he was looking at another project at the time) and he only mentioned about the short joist.

Ceiling is currently propped up with one acrow prop.

Most of the similar houses on the street have also had their kitchen chimney breast removed but now sure what additional support (if any) they put in place.

So, my questions is - am I safe to remove the chimney breast?

Many thanks!

IMG_1138.jpeg
My project-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Joists are normally trimmed round the breast, those could be part of the making good of the hole in the floor when the upper section was removed.

The flat joist may have supported the hearth in the upper floor, the other joists are spaced at the usual centres so shouldn’t be a problem is correctly seated in wall pocket.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back