Chimney breast removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed the upstairs chimney breast in my house without planning permission etc (stupid I know). Now we want to sell our house and this has become an issue. The chimney breast at present is supported in the loft area by means of a concrete slab that is resting on timber roof joists. I understand by looking at other topics on this website that this is deemed unacceptable. What in your opinions would be best. To obtain retro permission, I have been told this would mean installing the required steel beams etc. Or would it be better and possibly cheaper to re-build the chimney breast.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, there were quite a few worms in that can. All chimney breasts are not borne equal. Just to give you some idea of how many worms you've let out.

There are building regulations concerning the amount of ventilation that habbitable rooms must have. A Chimney breast in the room may count towards this. The plans to remove a chimney breast may, therefore, need to include additional ventilation.

Chimney breasts form part of the structure of the house. Their presence acts as a butress for the wall, on which they are attached. If your particular wall doesn't have sufficient resistance to lateral loads without the chimney breast, the wall will need to have further support. (unlikely in a run of the mill domestic house).

The method used to support the stack depends on the stack in question. It may be that gallows brackets could be suitable. These are usually only used where the stack doesn't project very far out of the attached wall. If you need to put in a steel beam your BCO would expect to see calculations from a structural engineer before granting permission.

would it be better and possibly cheaper to re-build the chimney breast.
Even this poses problems. The fact is, the chimney breast is part of the structure of the house. As such, even it's reconstruction should involve your BCO. If I were your buyer, how would I know that the reconstruction was carried out competently. Could I be sure that you've tied it into the wall properly? Have you left any voids in it, or blocked of the flue completely? Having seen your house without the breast in place, I would now need to see something from the BCO, endorsing your work (whatever form it takes).

I think your best bet would be, to call in a structural engineer to advise on what would be required to bring your house into line with building regs. Urgently get the work done, then apply to the local BCO for "regularisation". They will probably charge you a punitive fee, but in all likelyhood, you will then be in the clear. No garauntees though.

Good luck.

Gettting a structural eng. in sounds like great advise to me, I got on in to look at my basement and a 1 hour visit with a report in the post a week later cost me about £60.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back