chimney breast removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'd like to know if i need planning permission to remove our chimney breast. We are lowering the chimney stack below roof level.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
hello,

I dont know if you have taken down your chimney breat without Building regulations yet. If you have then you are in for a whole lot of fun.

Only just seen your post, searching for similar posts. I had a chimney breast removed over 5 years ago, listened to the builder who said I didnt require building regulations, stupid I know.

Now I am trying to sell the house, having problem after problem....No one will come near without Building sing of Certificate. This is hard to get for retrospective work and the council could force you to put back to original at your cost if done less than 10 years ago.

Worst mistake I ever made was listening to my builder and not applying for building regulations...

Please what ever you do speak to Building Regulations office before you start work.

If you have already done the work then dont speak to them, you will require a indemndity insurance to cover you incase Building Control ask you to put back to original or take you to court for not applying for Building Regulations. This insurance can only be taken out if you have not told Building Regulations, it only covers you for the cost of action against you and will not cover you if the house falls down.

Ive had a nightmare 2 weeks trying to get my chimney sorted out and its cost me 1000's.

I dont think you need approval, but you must comply to building regs.

I got a reduction on my property by the surveyor saying it didnt look good.

Sponsored Links
You do not need planning permission, just approval and certificate from Building regulation to say work is satisfactory.

I am now in the situation of trying to sell my house, the buyers surveyor picked up the chimney breast removal and they are now insisting on Building Certificate for removal.

Did you have a similar situation and how much did you manage to knock of the asking price?

I am now in the situation of trying to sell my house, the buyers surveyor picked up the chimney breast removal and they are now insisting on Building Certificate for removal.
You need to apply for "Regularisation". Cost will vary from LABC to LABC but it will be circa 120% of the applicable Building Notice charge. This is not hard to do. It certainly will not cost you "£000's" as you you put it, assuming, the original work was structurally sound.

I think there's an element of cross-purpose here: OP is taking the stack down (presumably leaving the breast/s in, but it matters not), in which case no BRegs required.

On the other hand, keeping the stack and taking the breast/s under out does require BRegs approval.

Removal of a chimney is normally permitted development, but certain circumstances (height above the roof, or if the building is listed, or in a designated area) then planning permission may be required

For building regs, the chimney stack is technically a part of the structure, and its removal will have implications for ingress of moisture (roof and flue) so possibly may attract an application

or pick up the phone yto your local council and get a helpful correct answer!

Yes, begone with you ... any anyone else who wants to waste their time asking a question on a forum :rolleyes:

not heard a thing. And roof is all fine and dry.

Based on my personal experience i would advice anyone with chimney stack problems to get rid.
A little bit expensive to do (500 quid) but worth it in long run imho.

EHO said if the next door landlord continues to complain he can issue an order for us to make us remove the chimney. We havent heard from this landlord for 2 months and now the complaint has come again tonight that the chimney is leaking causing damp in his property. We had the soakers fixed the lead checked and the chimney capped and he still says its leaking. We are concrned now he will go back to the EHO officer to stick this enforcesment on us? Any advise please. I don't know what more we can do? What will it cost to take the thing down and be done with it. However our roofer says its not our problem?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back