Chimney breast removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Amongst a refurbishment project I am considering the removal of a single chimney breast from the ground floor lounge through the first floor bedroom and into the loft area. The stack will stay as the neighbour is still using the chimney breast.

The property was built in 1950 and the mortar joints are sand and cement. The ground floor breast is 1.2m wide and 340mm deep and the first floor breast is 370mm wide and 340mm deep.

From what I remember the breast in the loft is approximately 1.2m wide and 340 deep.I spoke with my local building control officer and advised him of the above, he agreed that the use of gallow brackets and concrete lintels will be acceptable, at this time I thought the party wall was 9 inches wide.

Having looked at the stack it measures approximately 783mm wide and I have calculated the following. 340 deep breast X 2 – 680mm = 103mm party wall.

//media.diynot.com/169000_168305_85503_83678373_thumb.jpg

Other than using a steel beam spanning load bearing walls what are my options? I prefer to use gallow brackets but do not think they are suitable on a 4 inch party wall.
Tia

Sponsored Links
Can you see the brick bond in the loft? That would give you more of a clue about the thickness of the party wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back