CHIMNEY BREAST REMOVAL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, im planning on a chimney breast removal, the fireplaces are bricked up in the dining room and in the bedroom but i need to remove it for more space.
the chimney above the roof has already been removed so i will obviously start the removal of bricks from the loft.
i was just wondering if it is a pretty straight forward job or is there any problems i could come across?

the chimney breast runs up an internal wall rather than the outside wall.

i was just a bit concerned about joist 1 , im guessing it rests on the brickwork of the sides of the breast.
would i need to put a new full length joist in or just join up the 2 ends in some way?
any advice would be grateful, thanks
(i hope ive managed to attach the sketch!!!)

chimney.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would think that installing a new joist would be the best idea! You can splice in new joist ends using resin bonding so that might be an alternative??

Darkrob_DIY said:
I would think that installing a new joist would be the best idea! You can splice in new joist ends using resin bonding so that might be an alternative??

would it be strong enough though?

Are you sure there aren't two short beams running from joist 2 to the wall either side of the breast and supporting the two 'halves' of beam 1?

That's the usual setup, and no support is needed apart from a few short pieces of 6" x 2" let in to support your flooring where the breast shape hole has appeared.

Sponsored Links
Thanks SNM,
i will check this.
have you done a job like this before?

are chimney breasts double brick thickness or single?

the one i have is about 4 ft wide and around 18" out from the wall

cheers

Contact you local authority with regards to removing your chimney's you are potentialy weakening the party wall. I believe the work also falls under building control.

There have been cases of party walls partialy collapsing with one side's chimney's being removed altering the overall strength of the wall.

Daz is assuming that your chimney is against your neighbour's 'party' wall. Is this not so?
If this is the case, you would be advised to discuss what you're doing with the neighbour. Although I've removed several chimney breasts and never discussed them with anyone!

If the brickwork is good and solid, the chance of any weakening is extremely unlikely.

To your other question - the sides are normally two brick thick (9") While the front is just one brick thick (4-1/2")

hi SNM,
no the room behind the chimney breast is the bathroom upstairs and the kitchen downstairs.

i checked and it looks like the set up is as you described with the 2 short beams.

so the side chimney bricks are bedded into the main wall are they?
i suppose you just snap these off with a bolster?

also do you think there is a need for an rsj to be installed?
as some people say i have to.
although i cant really see anything that neeeds supporting.

Hi Andy
Just re-read your first post and realised you already explained it was an internal wall - doh!

As you say, dismantling from the top means there is nothing for any lintel to support.

Simply replace any missing bricks using a mix of sand & cement, make all your timber good, plasterboard, scratch-coat, skirtings on, skim and decorate - job done :D
Steve

you could put in one of those "through" fire places as seen on shows like "extreme makeover: home edition".. if that is an en-suite, otherwise you'd just be a perv looking at visitors while on the can... :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back