chimney breast removed what shall i use to repair the wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I had a builder in to advise me as to how to remove my chimney breast and have now done so but he warned me that I would need something to coat any remaining soot areas on the wall as it would come through any plaster etc. Well what I found was that, and I cannot imagine how they achieved it, that the inside of the chimney or bricks were rendered so that all soot was on the render. As i have removed the bricks this just left a streak of sooty render on the wall so I chiseled this off to leave clean brick everywhere so that i now have a clean brick wall to patch into the walls either side.

Do I now need to worry about soot, ie will it have done something to the bricks so that they still need some coating of something, they look totally clean?

I am going to build wardrobes in front so the wall will not be visible. Also I can plaster small areas pretty good but not a whole wall so I feel I could do a reasonable job of the plastering considering it will be hidden anyway but what should I use, plaster or render?

I am used to using the brown bonding plaster and then some finish plaster but I have never tried rendering, is it harder?

If render, I see there are different types of mix, what would I need?

Is this a simple plastering job on clean brick that I am making a mountain of?

Any advice help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If the chimney is now not being used, it will likely require ventilation.
You could apply a lot of things to the wall.
*Lime/cement render
*Browning base coat and skim
*Dot & Dab
*Seal it and leave it.

The options are yours!

Sponsored Links
We have an attic extension and when I remove the ground floor part as I have only removed the 1st floor part it will be all gone up to 1st floor ceiling level. The void between the 1st floor ceiling level and the attic floor is over 12 inches and this is where the last bit goes to the roof and it is support on gallows and has ventilation into the void. This was done when I had the attic done in 2000 to allow me to remove the chimney breast in the future.

I know that most of the time you are not allowed to use gallows now for this but must use a beam, but this job was under the watch of the local council and I suppose it must have been ok then as I was not aware of the support rules then and did not question it at that time the council saw it and passed it, together with the attic extension.

Anyone know when the rules changed on gallows?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back