Chimney breast repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A945B047-249C-4A57-ACC7-CD97C7555E84.jpeg
Look to reinstate a gas fire and checked chimney breast attick and found this (attached photo)Can i just fill with fireproof cement ? Thoughts please

Sponsored Links
dont now what you mean reinstate gas fire - when was the flue active with any kind of fire below in any room?
is a SS liner going in - doesnt matter realy because any GasSafe would condem the job.
can you post a photo of the outside chimney stack?
looks like thats a rebuild.
is that chimney breast and stack shared with a neighbour?

There was a gas fire in service when i moved in about a year ago.. fire broke and now i am replacing . The fire is located in my front room no other fire linked in the house No liner just brick as far as i can see ?

when i said rebuild i mean the top an maybe more of your chimney breast an stack need rebuilding.
chimney breasts when they reach the loft can carry as many as four sepereteflues in them.
thers also a feather or maybe feathers inside the c/breast .
an lookin at your photo what looks like a feather might also need rebuilding.
i can help you better if you post a photo of your stack.

Sponsored Links
Graham’s, good evening.

What has been called [above] a birds feather is in fact sunlight reflecting from the inner surface of the Chimney flue, if you copy and enhance the image posted you can see between the gaps in the brickwork the "far side" of the Chimney void.

The area of brickwork in the image is in what is best described as being in poor condition. very near collapse and will require to be carefully removed and re-built or [preferably] carefully re-pointed to ensure this area of brick can take the load from the stack above.

if you do nothing, the next good going storm could bring the entire stack down.

Ken

nothins been called a birds feather mate. nothin. understand what your talkin about before givin wonky an maybe dangerous advice.

for people who work in the building trade feather is a word for a thin wall that divides the flues in a chimney. a brick partition.
some chimneys with a number of flues have a number of feathers.
if the feather is crumblin it can allow fumes to penetrate into other flues and find a way out, sometimes by dropping down to fireplace openings in other rooms. thats dangerous.
plus damaged feathers allow fumes to cool and drop back down ther own flue an thats dangerous to.
they can also allow fumes to enter neighbours shared c/breast flues aan thats v. dangerous.

pointin will do nothin for that brickwork mate.
how would you repair the feather without opening the c/breast wall up?
we dont now how many flues are ther or if its an outside wall gable c/breast or a internal shared chimney.
a photo will tell us a lot more for those who understand what ther lookin at..

"Feathers?"

Not a phrase that I can recall, possibly an English term ? Have never seen it is a Specification, or in a BoQ? and cannot recall being taught at college about "Feathers" in the context you are using the word?

Ken

stop diggin yourself in a hole mate.
feathers is a common term in Scotland.
if you dontcall them feathers then what do youcall them?

you say youve never seen the term yet your willin to give advice about somethin youdont now about - dangerous advice to.

an dont try the old soldier bit with ref to schedules an bill of quantities.man up an stay on page.

sfk, good ref to that site thanks

funny enough,last night just to check on this an before your post i had called a guy who lives works in Edinburgh as a sweep an he says hes never called then anythin but feathers nither have any of rthe sweeps he nows called them anythin but feathers.

doesnt mean that some call them bridges.

Must admit I am a Dwanger advocate.

I have has a load of interesting comments from some Insurance handlers when I include the "D" word in a report.

Sometimes when I see Noggin, I recall Captain Pugwash, and his side kick Noggin the Nog, or am I confusing two differing Kids clunky TV shows? -they were a long time ago

Lol...pugwash and noggin unrelated Ken.

Tbh i have heard both terms used but bridges is the most oft used term in the trade...dont know what the sweeps use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back