Chimney Breast Repointinhg Job - Fern Type Plant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Im just started doing the repointing on a 1930s chimney - its needs doing as there a fern type plant attaching to the joints.

In some places its gone in quite deep and it comes out fairly easy but its quite a rooty fibrous type fern that seems to take hold on all the chimneys round here

Im going to use a grinder to get the bulk of it out but where I cant get a ginder in is there something that anyone know of that will kill it off - poison wise

Was thinking of also using my oscillating tool to get in the joints too - that may do it but not sure if its heavy duty enough

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I recently did mine, it was the same, so bad that the roots had replaced all the mortar in the top course. I removed the top course of bricks, (chimney redundant so couldn't see the point of rebuilding). I also used a multitool for raking out, partly because some of the joints were very thin and partly because I didn't feel safe using a grinder off a ladder.

IMG_20210323_132819467.jpg

IMG_20210324_111503198~2.jpg

Thats the stuff there - its gone right in the joint with you there too - there are a couple of loose bricks so Im glad we are doing it - although its a bit more work than I envisaged to be honest - especially the crown - theres a lump of concrete on there that we are going to need to replace :) Without dropping stuff down the neighbours side too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back