chimney breasts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I'm new here, Im looking for advice regarding chimney breasts. (1932 house)
I have 3 I think, well 2 as I believe the kitchen 1 was knocked out years ago.
So I opened up 1 in living room, as it was only covered by plaster board.
it looks blocked off I dont know.
it's just a hole in th the Wall, leading to nowhere.
I want to clean it somehow as it smells of ash, so don't just want to stick a vent in.
There is a layer of slate ? I think covering the bricks, some is cracking off so you can see brickwork.
can I cracked it all off ?
How can I clean the hole ?

Kitchen backs on to living room and I'm guessing breast was removed for more space.

Bedroom 1.. there is a breast in there and I again want to open it up, have it cleaned by a sweeper and then cover back up and put a vent there so it can breath. (Clean air)

Bedroom 2 .. backs on to bedroom 1
I have a problem with a wall in this room .. it is getting worse since moving in a few months ago. Wall is becoming more lumpy and little dark spots are appering

On the other side of this wall is, bedroom ones chimney breast.

I am awear there is no pots on chimney. And that chimney needs new flashing and repointing, which I will get done asap.
there is a sign in bedroom 1 that leaking may of occurred at some point as mark in corner of celing above breast.

My question here is, what bedroom wall do I open up ?
Bedroom 1 has breast, bedroom 2 has the marks on the wall ?
Or both ?

Is marks/lumps likely to be water damage.
Or just bad plastering ? Or salts etc from chimney ? Or start of damp from no vents in breast ?

I hope this makes sense as I know nothing about chimneys

Sponsored Links
Probably have leak at chimney level flushing thru soot staining the wall. Get roof level checked first.

OP,

Given that you say you are doing a full house refurbishment I would suggest that you post as many photos as possible with each question you might have.

Each of the above questions deserves a photo plus you have nothing to lose by posting photos of each external elevation, and the roof and chimney stack.

If you read OP: Superted87 in the projects forum today at 2:32pm you will see that he has scanned a plan view of his property to help identify what fault is where. Worth thinking about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back