Chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Having removed some old plaster to sort out a damp problem, I've found the original fireplace with an arch rather than a lintel. The mortar is generally in good condition. Is the arch still going to be strong enough to support the chimney if I removed the smaller fireplace that was added? It's 1117mm wide between the original brick pillars.

There has also been some rising damp with significant salt deposits over the years as seen in image 3, which I was surprised at with it being an internal wall. I could inject some chemical dpc but how do I stop the damp rising through the first brick?

Sponsored Links
From the look of the photos, you can safely remove the bricks below the arch, but obviously take care as you do it. The rising damp may be from the old soot that picked up moisture for the air, and may well dry out once it's been opened, and if that's the case, then you may need to just treat the salts, and keep an eye on it.

Having done the exact same thing only last month, I too had the same worry as I exposed a similar brick arch surrounded by the remnants of a newer fireplace. As doggit says, just be careful when removing the bricks - I worked brick by brick and just carefully chiseled them away individually. The weight of the above bricks isn't fully in the arch, it's in the two columns of bricks either side which is where the force is concentrated.

Your arch looks like mine - not really a perfect curve so I couldn't follow it when rendering/plastering over.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back