Chimney Brest.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I was wondering if someone could help, i have noticed that there are some bricks missing from my chimney brest. In the loft my chimney has two fire place brests merging into one and out through the roof. On one of the chimney breast some bricks are missing just under where the brest becomes one. The hole would be about 3"x3" where they are missing. Does anyone think this would cause any problems??

Sponsored Links
:D :D
No chance of that, the fireplaces were bricked up and chimney capped years ago.
Structurally but do you think it would be ok???

Sponsored Links
The hole is at the side of the brick panel but so some bricks don't have preceeding bricks under them. This is whats worrying. Hope this makes sense. :oops:

it's probably just fell out, stick a brick back in the hole if you are worried, better still mix up a bit of mortar and glue it in place, but I wouldn't worry too much in anycase.

Yes, thats correct. Although i've just been up to measure it. Its acutally about 10" x12".
Do you still think it's ok??

Could it be a hole someone's made to ventilate the chimney and prevent damp? Have you got a digital camera? Perhaps you could post a picture of these two breasts?

Can't post a picture as the brest is boarded over. Basically someone has taken away part of the brest to place the header tank on.
The combined size of both brests is about 13-14 foot across, they curve up in a arrow head shape and merge at the top into one.
On the left brest is a 'notch' taken out where a platform has been erected and the header tank placed.
Hope this makes it clearer.

thanks.

Check for cracks in the brickwork above and below the opening, if there are none then just brick the hole up.
Without some photos or sketches im struggling to visualise your hole.

I think i have a picture of the brest before i boarded it up. I'll post it tonight when I get home.
Thanks for your help.

By the looks of the photos looks like they have taken a notch out of the curved chimney at the top. I would be concerned with this there is plenty of brickwork to spread any loading out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back