Removing my chimney brest downstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
i'm thinking about removing my chimney breast from my downstairs living room and leaving the rest of the chimney intact. I know that under normal circumstances the remaining chimney will have to be supported. My Chimney however runs above the top of a shared alley between the houses (mid terris). The chimney brest in the living room stops at ceiling level and does not support anything. My question is can i just remove the chimney with no worries or will the breast in my living indirectly support the rest of the chimney? From what i can tell its unlikley that it does support the rest of the chimney but just wanted some professional advice.

Thanks in advance

(diagram)

Sponsored Links
The flue is extremely unlikely to turn through 90 degrees as you show. The principles of your approach are fine, but, until that stack is opened up, there is no way to tell for sure if further support work won't be required.

Unfortunately it's one of those questions that can't be answered definitively without actually having a look at it.

Maybe ask a reputable local builder for a quote and see what they advise?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back