Chimney Cowl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently in the process of having a new gas fire and fireplace installed. The old fireplace was an open fire so has a plain chimney pot.

As I'm having a HE gas fire installed, this'll need to be replaced for something like a GC1 terminal. The issue is the installer wants £££ to hire access equipment for his guys to replace the pot as it's not straightfoward to access.

Do you need to be Gas Safe to replace the pot? (i.e. can I replace it myself.)

Steve

Sponsored Links
What sort of cash is your installer looking for ?

Maybe some photos of the chimney could find an alternative solution.

Which gas fire have you in mind ?

How many quotes have you had ?

sorry a lot of ?'s but we need info to comment.

What sort of cash is your installer looking for? £450 because of the height and nowhere to hook a roof ladder to.

Maybe some photos of the chimney could find an alternative solution. Poor quality photo attached (I'm not at home)

Which gas fire have you in mind? Stovax/Gazco Logic HE

How many quotes have you had? 1 (only Stovax dealer nearby)

sorry a lot of ?'s but we need info to comment.

He was suggesting hiring either scaffolding with an access kit to get across to the chimney or ideally a boom lift.

Attachments

• 20170417_162540.jpg
    20170417_162540.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 121
Your installer is correct,the days of hanging off adhock ladder configurations has passed.

best let the installing company do all the work.just one contractor to deal with if future problems arise.

good luck.

Sponsored Links
Your installer is correct,the days of hanging off adhock ladder configurations has passed.

best let the installing company do all the work.just one contractor to deal with if future problems arise.

good luck.

I was thinking of doing it myself as I need to replace the antenna anyway. Any legal issues re: Gas Safe? I have a scaffold tower, but the entire assembly is not kitemarked so they are not willing to use it. (Individual components are, but some parts are a different brand)

One could argue that the terminal should be fitted by a RGI. Why not just fit a basic bird guard? In one respect it is better - there is no resistance. When your GC1 gets full of cobwebs you can end up with problems - which you don't want if it is a £450 access.

He is wrong, assuming the chimney is not metal lined. Fires DO NOT require a terminal.
Personally, unless you have issues with rain ingress, I would not fit one. HE fires are generally less sympathetic to increased flue resistance, whi
ch a GC1 will provide. As I intimated earlier, when (probably rather than if) the "can" gets a bundle of cobwebs, the fire will start to "spill"fumes. as the flue will not draw the fumes away. If he is charging £450, it will be financially painful to have to get some one back up there to remove and clear. It (cobwebs) will not be covered by warranty.
Why not get a second opinion - try phoning Gazco tech and ask their advice

EDIT: Just realised you are going to DIY

There is no recommendation other than the flue should have sufficient pull and minimum 5" diameter in the Gazco manual. If a cage is compliant with building regs then that is far easier for me to install.

He was going to install a cowl, but said the open pot was not compliant.

There is no recommendation other than the flue should have sufficient pull and minimum 5" diameter in the Gazco manual. If a cage is compliant with building regs then that is far easier for me to install.

He was going to install a cowl, but said the open pot was not compliant.

An open pot is perfectly okay and compliant. Except birds may enter. Too many folk get "a good idea" confused with "it is required".

EDIT: Just to clarify, the "fireman" in my username does not refer to the brave guys in uniform:)

Gone for a UFO cowl. Quick fitting and looks unrestrictive.

Thanks for your replies.

Has your gas fire installer checked the chimney route?,it may need sweeping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back