Chimney Leaking!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I`m after some advice for our leaky chimney.

When it rains heavily for prolonged periods (like the last few weeks!!), we appear to get water seeping through the mortar in the loft space and then running down the outside of the chimney breast and drippng down.

The house is an end of terrace built around 1890 with a slate roof.

When this first started happening, the first thing done, was the concrete flashing which was not great, was covered over some sort of silicone to help seal it. The chimney pots were all capped aswell. It still appears to leak.

Recently, i had another roofer/builder look at it and he repaired some of the pointing, haunching and added a water proof sealant to the outside bricks. Still, it leaks just as bad as ever!

I`ve had the same roofer back to take another look and he says the chimney has no damp course and reckons we need to demolish the chimney now, and rebuild it with a damp course, lead soakers, flashing, apron and tray.

Looking at the chimney from the ground, there doesn`t appear to be a damp course at all where other chimneys have them.

If it didn`t have a damp course when it was built originally, it obviously held up ok for the best part of 100 years(!), why do i need one now?

If the chimney was to be completly repointed properly, with decent lead flashing to the roof fitted, would this work or still leak? Obviously, this is ALOT cheaper than having the chimney completly rebuilt!

Thanks in advance, cheers, Mike

Heres some pics - you can see the mortar inside is completely shot - i can repoint this myself though (once its dry again!). The gaps at the top is where i started scraping the mortar out before the rain came!

Sponsored Links
Mike,

I'm no roofing expert but i had the same problem in my mid terrace (1895). Heavy rain would create browning on ceiling above chimney breast and would also run behind the plaster.

Haunching was completely jiggered, you could slot £1 coins down the gap easily and can only say throwing money at sealants is probably not the way forward. Roofer installed soaker's and lead flashing (1 year on and attic is dry and well ventilated). I had two chimney stacks to do, neighbours back side of chimney is on my side plus slate repairs and it didn't break the bank but money well spent.

Regards

Macca

Whenever I do work to a chimney stack or roof, where the customer can't see it I take before and after pics, then I can show them what was causing the problem and then the work done to rectify

Sponsored Links
You know, I thought to all for some pics, but before I had chance, the work had been done.

I'll see if I can get s pic of outside

What you describe appears to be a sand and cement fillet ( "concrete flashing" ) and not a lead flashing at the roof/stack junction.
These fillets rarely work.
Lead flashing all the way round the stack is the best practice.

In pic 4 the left hand roof slope appears to have underfelt in place but the right hand roof slope has slate laths visible and possibly (difficult to see) the slates themselves?
This would suggest no underfelt is present.

thanks - yes, the left side (as you look at it) has all the underfelt fitted, but the right is just bare slates (with a few chinks of light here and there!).

Was like this when we moved in 5 years ago.

I know what you `re saying about the concrete 'flashing' - and i can fully appreciate that we may get leaks here and could do with proper lead flashing, but it does appear to literally soak through the mortar between the bricks.

I`m trying to work out whether i could get away without rebuilding the chimney completely - (times are hard at the moment!!)

I`ll get a photo up tonight when i get home of the outside (not the best pic, but you can get the idea of what we have)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back