chimney problems please have a look

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all i have a leaky chimney

chimney served 3 fires. one was vent type hole in kitchen wall, other was upstairs fire in bedroom which had been boarded over and i think the pot has a vented cowl on it, the last one served the back boiler in living room which i have removed and sealed. these other 2 tops just have a chimney liner. no pot no cowl

this is our bedroom ceiling below it. A day or so after it rains the ceiling gets wetter. which makes me think its wicking through the chimney
now the pointing was really bad
so i repointed the worst bits (but probably should re-do all of it) but the celing in bedroom still appeared wet

im no expert but the flashings seemed fine

but i put a bead of roof/gutter sealant around the top of flashings and down side so no water could get in, but still the ceiling gets wetter

1 pot had a cowl on it but the other 2 have just liners. i thought the rain was failling down chimney hitting internal bricks and soaking through. so i siliconed a couple bit of slate on top of them until i can get proper vendelated cowls. but still the ceiling gets wetter

this is inside my roof
as you can see i have a mould problem and the chimney is obviously very wet, mortar in joints is black?
this is the outside of roof, not sure the left half is black???

my next step will be to re-do flouncing on top around pots and paint water seal on brickwork. only concern would be chimney cant dry out. any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Hi. Other than spending a lot of money fitting a DPC tray. You may do best waiting for some fine weather and giving the chimney stack a few coats of sealant, it translucent and seals the brick work. I have made a small film to try and explain the need for DPC tray http://www.youtube.com/user/justlead1#p/u/2/AAdcYazFIio it may help in understanding the problem. I can not remember the name of the sealant product but i am sure someone else will put us straight. Good Luck

From what I can see, you would benefit from pointing and leading the whole chimney.
Im not being rude, but slapping sealents everywhere is just a bodge waste of time, you dont want your battens and rafters getting in a worse condition than they already are or you will be looking at a re roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back