Selecting a Chimney Cowl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies in advance if this is posted in the wrong forum.

I'm after some advice about selecting a chimney cowl to top the flu of a wood/coal burning open fireplace.

There used to be a cowl but it was a noisy beast when the wind blew across it during the winter storms.

Time for a replacement since the rain comes down it now.

Short version of the long story is that I had the chimney swept and the sweep said it was the wrong cowl and the pot was cracked. New cowl £150, new pot £250. Following day I had a roofer up replacing a couple of tiles and asked him to check the pot. He said it was in great condition. So, dodgy sweep can :!: himself!

Anyway, any advice about the type of cowl to use would be great.

Sponsored Links
As you have a good roofer ;) it might be worth investing in a teracotta H pot . I think they might be called O-H or something ( have a google) and look @ the hetas site too. It`ll need bedding in in place of original pot , but should last forever . Loads of clip on metal ones around but would they withstand the weather up there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back