How best to access a chimney pot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

this might sound like a stupid question but what's the best way to gain access to the top of a chimney pot... (the cowl came off our chimney in last weeks storm and I want to replace it - I've asked a local roofer for a price but the earliest they can quote is 8 days away - also heard some horror stories from colleagues about quotes of £500 to replace half a dozen ridge tiles. )

Single story bungalow, Marley tiled roof (approx 35 deg pitch) chimney stack is about 6-4 ft above tiles, chimney pot is about 4 ft high.

I can't hop up onto the stack because of the neighbour's satellite dish, similarly I can't get a ladder from ground level up to the top of the chimney stack.

I did think about resting a step ladder between the tiles and the chimney stack (indicated by the red line below) but don't want to break the tiles and not sure about the wisdom of putting a board under the legs.

ChimneyAccess.jpg

Chimney is not in use (vent at ground floor level) so the cowl is really to stop birds and rain.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Get a man in with the proper equipment. It wont cost five hundred quid, get a quote or 3 before they start.

Sponsored Links
Every time you think about going on a roof just remember Rod Hull. A bungalow roof may not seem that high but the fall can still kill you. Just hang on until the guy with the right equipment can come and do it for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back