Disused Chimneys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

A couple of years ago we put full central heating into our large Victorian house. As we go through the house modernsing room by room, we are removing the old gas fires and sealing off (and venting) the old fireplaces. Last winter we noticed some of the new plaster around one of the sealed off chimney breasts beginning to bubble a little. I decided that when the weather got better I would check the chimney flashings and cap off the six pots on two stacks of the disused chimneys.

This week I have got the scaffolding up and have been up there. The flashings seem all in order as does the pointing and general state of that stacks and pots.

So my first question is this. Could three open pots on a stack allow in enough rainwater in to cause plaster problems on the ground floor level? Or am I more likely to be missing something that I need to get to while the scaffolding is in place.

The second question is about the actual capping of the chimneys. Other already capped chimneys on the house have clay pepper pot type caps When I look online at caps I see only plastic type ones like the C-Cap. Is there any reason that I should be using the plastic ones rather than the clay ones, which in my opinion look much better?

Hope someone can help out, and thanks guys.

M

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back