Removal of chimney pots after getting rid of chimney breasts

zo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed the chimney breast in one of the downstairs and the upstairs rooms. The chimney stack in my loft is now blocked off. I am hoping to remove the chimney breast in the back and upstairs room in the near future.

Should I remove the chimney pots and have cowls fitted? Or should I just leave them and have cowls fitted on the top. I don't want plastic caps, only the ceramic cowls.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Should I remove the chimney pots and have cowls fitted? Or should I just leave them and have cowls fitted on the top. I don't want plastic caps, only the ceramic cowls.

Either is actually OK, but personally I would remove the pots and replace with the short vented and capped pots. The old pots are usually heavy so it just removing dead weight. The caps may not do both options so you need to decide before they are obtained.

I take it the chimney is shared on a semi as otherwise the better option is to remove completely and extend the roof over.

Sponsored Links

Either is actually OK, but personally I would remove the pots and replace with the short vented and capped pots. The old pots are usually heavy so it just removing dead weight. The caps may not do both options so you need to decide before they are obtained.

I take it the chimney is shared on a semi as otherwise the better option is to remove completely and extend the roof over.

My next door neighbour has removed all the chimney breasts and the 4 pots on the roof.

Removing them completely and extending the roof over will be a major expensive job which I can ill afford at the moment.

I am worried since we have had lots of rain these last few days, the rain would come down the chimney pots and make the chimney stack in the loft damp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back