Recommendations for cowls and caps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have 4 chimney pots, scaffold up at the moment and plan to fit ventilated caps to the 3 disused chimneys, and an anti downdraught type to the one with a stove, and wondering if you guys have any recommendations.

For the unused ones, the clay pepperpot/sailor cap type probably look the best, but I noticed those c-caps that make claims about reducing heat loss but still keeping a slight ventilation. I presume both just sit in place.

For the stove flue I was thinking that an anti-downdraught type would be best.

Any recommendations/things to avoid?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Regarding your solid fuel stove, I'd use a cowl made by Colt.....I've used a Screwfix type before and it had corroded through in two years :eek:
Jewsons are the Colt suppliers in these parts.
For the other chimneys, I've used the terracotta pepper pot ones without any problems at all.
John :)

Thanks John. The Colt was one of the ones I looked at online and they sell them from their own website so good to get that recommendation.

The only thing I could see in favour of the plastic C-Caps is that they might reduce the amount of draught by being less open to the wind, the pepper pots have the holes pointing straight into the wind, but don't want too little ventilation either!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back