Chimney cowls/caps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

Got 4 chimney pots on my house, all are currently open.
3 are disused
1 is used with a multifuel stove (mainly wood)

Usually get loads of crows/corvids nesting in the pots, so hoping to get them covered before they move in again this winter.

Any recommendations for good quality cowls/caps that will stand the test of time - the pots are pretty exposed to the wind.

How are they normally measured? I went up today, the pots are about 12" / 310mm external

On the disused chimneys, is it better to have a cap or a birdguard, in terms of ventilation/rain?

Sponsored Links
I’d sort the unused ones with a drop in terracota ‘pepper pot’ and the working one with a stainless cowl with a top and bird guard mesh....I like the Colt range personally.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I had an unused pot, I put a metal cowl on it in the summer.
When I cam to light the fire I had a living room full of smoke & problems lighting the fire also. I called in an expert he asked if I had done anything, I said no, then suddenly remembered the cowl. He removed it hey presto all good,
So be careful what you do.
I put chicken wire down the pot instead of having a cowl.
This was in in 2018.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back