chimney cowls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

So I need two chimney cowls installed as we have had the chimney breast removed and wind and water seem to be coming in a little.

There seem to be a few different ones on ScrewFix (Site down at the moment) or on Amazon is there a big difference between them apart from the price?

Also I must add when I had the survey done on the house they reported:

'Carry out repairs and re-point the crack to the rear of the stack and re-point any weathered mortar joints. Re-new flaunchings and re-set Chimney pot' ** Prompt Action Required

The Lead flashings and soakers around the base of the stack appear to be weathered and original to the property. It is likely that the will require replacement in the short term. The flashing to the front face of the stack appears to be short and a greater girth of flashing is probably required to ensure water tightness. ** Prompt Action Required (Enquire of further investigations should be made before commitment to purchase.'

If i get the Cowls installed now will that effect doing any of the above work mentioned in the report at a latter date ? or should I really get it all done in one go you think?

Cheers
Paul

Sponsored Links
Is removing the chimney from above the roof line not an option?

Shared with the neighbour perhaps?

Sponsored Links
Do it all in one go now. You will save money, and prevent successive roofers clambering about your roof.

Removing the c/breast shouldn't affect the stack if done properly, but now you can see leaks that were probably there for some time.

I'm all for retaining chimney stacks, they give such character to a house or road.

Simply installing cowl's might not do anything - you dont yet know where the water is specifically coming from.

Maybe you could take some pics and post them on here?

AAMOI: best modern practice is for roofers to present before and after pics to householders.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back