Chimney Queries

You dont need 5 chimney pots if you only use 1 fire. Theyre very tall wonky pots too. I would advise dropping a liner down to the fireplace in use. Remove the four remaining long pots & replace with possibly two short pots with vented cowls. I say only two pots possibly as often all the chimney flues meet in a chamber near the roof ridge line. Get them to check this out.

By lining the chimney flue in use this will stop any mortar/stone dropping into your fireplace which could cause a dangerous situation where the flue gasses do not escape into the chimney and free air, but output into living/sleeping spaces. The register plate above the fire should be sealed to stop soot & chimney debris from falling onto the fireplace.

The sandstone doesnt look that bad to me, but the lead flashing is a bit ropey.

Sponsored Links
Thanks tuck1. I hadn't thought of a liner - that's a good idea.

When you say the flashing looks ropey, hopefully you don't mean that which is shown in the last photo of the main set as that was done a couple of years back when the back of the roof was done. The rest of the flashing is old though.

So, from what you've seen, and bearing in mind the chimney is quite high up so I'm assuming scaffolding will be needed, do you think the repairs can be done for less than the brick rebuild I was quoted for?

Got someone calling me today so I'll keep this going.

Another option would be to remove stack below roof line and rebuild to a single stack.

Though pp will come into play for this option.

I think I'd have less chance of rebuilding to a single stack than I would in brick as it'd look even more out of place compared to the others in the terrace.

Ideally I'd like to avoid rebuilding if at all possible. I've been through the planning process with Stirling council before and they are slow and reluctant to commit. If I can repair to a decent standard to make it safe and weather tight then I'd rather go down that route.

As has been said earlier in this thread the chimney doesn't look as bad as my initial thread suggested - I guess through overthinking this I decided it was a write off :) so it might be a waste to remove it.

Sponsored Links
I agree it would be a waste to have it removed.
I also think aesthetically it would look odd removing the cans on the redundant vents.
See what your tradesman says when they call.
Btw make sure they go on the roof and dont do a binocular survey.
They will need to ascertain the condition of the lead, bridges and depth of erosion on the blocks.

Ok - now this is where I'm not very experienced.

As suggested, I'd like those who look at the job to go up and have a look at the condition of the stack. You can see 1 whole side from 2 Velux windows, but the other side would need a long ladder to get to. I guess you'd also be able to check the top with this ladder.

Is this chargeable or should it be a normal part of the quote process? Ie can they turn up and charge me to go up and have a look. If they don't I assume they'll just factor in that time into the quote.

No it is not chargeable!
Its not the type of job which can be assessed by a cursory glance from the ground. There are plenty of able roofers in Stirlingshire who will be familiar with your type of property.
There is restoration work going on at the castle at the moment which is due for completion around july, i just came back last month, There are masons And slaters there who are very approachable, a bit of impartial free advice maybe. :D

Now that is good info :)

My next issue is what trade do I get? Obviously one who can do the whole lot would be best, but are roofers generally up to scratch with refacing stone? Many I've spoken to in the past think cement and sandstone works well together.

Yup masons for the block work.
http://www.albamasonry.co.uk/

They should be able to do all of the necessary works to the fabric of the lum unless the leadwork needs attention which may need you to seek out a leadworking plumber or roofing co.

1st port of call would be the masons.

May help if you have a special handshake and one trouser leg tucked into your sock :mrgreen:

Ta. I've dropped them an email.

Shame about the handshake thing. Been asked to join before but turned it down - I didn't actually think there were real masons in the Masons :D

Guy came this morning, on time, which I appreciate.

Was going well until he got a look at the other side (the bit I couldn't get a good photo of).

He will be back next week with a ladder to go up and take a proper look before giving any kind of quote, but his initial impressions were:

1. 3 sides are in quite good condition, but need pointing
2. The repair work which has been done in the past was done with cement
3. The pots are all in good condition
4. The cope, from what he could see, was also in reusable condition
5. The flashing on one side could do with getting redone

Then it gets bad

6. Part of it looks like it has leaned, causing a drop in the cope stone. Not sure if it's really visible in this pic but it was a bit clearer in the flesh

7. One block, which I couldn't get a good shot of, has started laminating.

So, his opinion from looking at it is that it does need to be stripped down and rebuilt, reusing the good stone and dealing with the bad blocks. He did say he can reface them but he can't tell how much he'd need to cut into them until he got up there.

Interestingly when I said the roofers said it should be stripped and rebuilt in brick because sandstone was too expensive, he laughed and commented that the company in question were great slaters but were no good with stonework. His opinion that the 2 most expensive parts of the chimney to replace would be the pots and the cope stone, which was reassuring.

So he'll give me a bell and then come out with the ladders to take a closer look, then I'll get an idea of cost.

Shame about the lean and drop, but if it needs addressed it needs addressed. Seemed like a decent guy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back