Neighbour refusing chimney rebuild, what can we do?

Wait until he's out, then go up the roof and dismantle the stack.
It takes 15 minutes.
Done it myself a couple of years ago.
Our stack was so gone that we didn't use any tools to dismantle it, just bare hands.

Sponsored Links
Really enjoyed where this thread has gone. I might add that he’s an elderly gentleman (with all his faculties) who doesn’t leave his house, so doing it whilst out isn’t an option.

And to add to the issue, we’ve just put planning permission in for a small rear and side return extension which we’ve told him about and he had no issue with, before all of this. So now we don’t want him to take issue in spite. It’s not looking good for us is it! :cry:

Will add photos of the chimney stack tomorrow.

Really enjoyed where this thread has gone. I might add that he’s an elderly gentleman (with all his faculties) who doesn’t leave his house, so doing it whilst out isn’t an option.

And to add to the issue, we’ve just put planning permission in for a small rear and side return extension which we’ve told him about and he had no issue with, before all of this. So now we don’t want him to take issue in spite. It’s not looking good for us is it! :cry:

Will add photos of the chimney stack tomorrow.

In this case you need a big tarpaulin, some bungee cords and a ladder.

Sponsored Links
You can not interfere with his side without an agreement.
Taking it down will cause a certain amount of debris falling down the flue. You might end up with soit and crud all over his carpet, his slippers and cat.
I have a feeling you will go about this the right way

I have a feeling you will go about this the right way

Of course, as much as I enjoy these responses, I don’t intend to rip down an old mans chimney without his permission. Even if we have to get that permission through getting the council/surveyors involved etc. however, might have to wait until we get planning permission for the extension before potentially falling out with him. Hopefully not, as I can’t leave the damp any longer, it’s awful.

Plan at the minute is to let the dust settle this week and then broach the subject again with him, now it’s not such a shock that he’s said no. Can’t remember if I said but this was a sudden U-turn From him. Initially he was all for it, even had his binoculars out looking at the neighbours awful chimneys too, agreed to pay half and was all for it, and then on Saturday he popped round and said ‘yeh, sorry but no’ after discussing it with his family members. So, in shock, he was met with an irate response from my other half.

By the sound of it he is persuadable. Perhaps very nicely say the damp is a fact and it is an absolute fact that the chimney is a problem. It is going to get fixed with or without his consent, it's just much easier if he agrees to you sorting it and paying for it than he and you getting into a fight with the council, solicitors etc, which ultimately will still end up with the work being done. Doing nothing is not an option.

Invite him in (socially distancing of course) and show him the damp. Emphasise that you are prepared to pay and let him know you will go to court to get authorisation if necessary.

My fathers neighbour refused permission to give access to replace soffits and fascias. A letter from a solicitor soon changed her mind and cost only £90, worth every penny after she exclaimed “over my dead body”. How I wish that would have come true. :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back