Single chimney stack on a terraced house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help regarding a single chimney stack on a terraced house and who is responsible for the repair of the led flashings around the chimney.

Each house on our street as a single brick chimney so when looking up at the front of the house there is a chimney on the right hand side of the boarder of each property.

A few years ago my neighbour came to me and said he as a leak coming through into his house and its down to the led flashings on his side of the roof. He was asking me to pay for the repair of the led flashings on his side as he claimed its my chimney that serviced my house and not his.

As much as this was a kick in the teeth at the time, I had to agree with him and paid for the work to be done on the simple basic of being my chimney and not his.

I now have the same problem, I have a leak and its coming through the led flashings on my side of the roof but its the neighbors chimney which services only her house.

My neighbour as told me she wont pay or even meet me half way so i have had to pay for the work to be done.

Who is responsible for the repair by law and would you have a claim if you were to take your neighbour to the small claims court.

Sponsored Links
If the leak is coming from the leadwork that flashes your roof then its yours to repair and pay for.

can anyone help regarding a single chimney stack on a terraced house and who is responsible for the repair of the led flashings around the chimney.

Each house on our street as a single brick chimney so when looking up at the front of the house there is a chimney on the right hand side of the boarder of each property.

A few years ago my neighbour came to me and said he as a leak coming through into his house and its down to the led flashings on his side of the roof. He was asking me to pay for the repair of the led flashings on his side as he claimed its my chimney that serviced my house and not his.

As much as this was a kick in the teeth at the time, I had to agree with him and paid for the work to be done on the simple basic of being my chimney and not his.

I now have the same problem, I have a leak and its coming through the led flashings on my side of the roof but its the neighbors chimney which services only her house.

My neighbour as told me she wont pay or even meet me half way so i have had to pay for the work to be done.

Who is responsible for the repair by law and would you have a claim if you were to take your neighbour to the small claims court.
Any clarity on this? I'm in the same situation. Chimney serves only neighbours property I have a chimney on the left. Their lead flashing for the chimney sits on the party walls their house is higher than mine not sure if that makes a difference. Just wondering who would be liable to repair the flashing. Thanks kelly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back