Responsibility for chimney flashing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a row of terrace cottages. The next house to me is stepped up a little as is the roofline - so the demarcation line is clear. However my chimney stack is inset a little within next doors roofline.
The chimney flashing on my neighbour's side - ie the side which meets his roof needs replacing. Who is responsible?
Me because it is my chimney or next door because it is his roof?
Cheers
ps we are not in dispute about this - so far he is paying. I just wondered if that was fair?

Sponsored Links
in terraced or semi-detached houses, the chimney stacks are usually shared - his fireplace on his side, your fireplace on your side.

Is that the way your is built? If so, he is certainly responsible for his side.

If not, either because each house has its chimney on the west (or east, or north) side of the house, and houses are not mirror images of their partners (this is less usual) then he is still responsible for whatever's on his side of the party wall, but I agree it does not sound fair, and you could do worse than offer to share the cost with him, as a good neighbour.

However, if he used to have a chimney adjoining yours, but it has been removed, leaving only your half of the stack, then he is responsible again.

Normally, anything past the middle of the party wall is the responsibly of the particular homeowner on that side

In our row, the fireplaces are all on the west side - so they don't butt onto each other and chimneys aren't shared.
On the other side of me the roofline continues straight on and we measured a fencing line going by the middle of the party wall.
On the side in question, the neighbouring house is stepped up so the division is quite clear. My house adjoins his but is lower down. But for some reason the top part of my chimney is inset a little into his roof.

Sponsored Links
But for some reason the top part of my chimney is inset a little into his roof.

You share the dividing wall the chimney is built into, so at the top the chimney continues above the shared party wall at least half of which is on the neighbours side, if you get my drift. Your chimney breast will be all your own side so most of it will show on your side above the roof line.

On old properties, it is quite common for the stepped bit of the wall to be just a half brick thick, you can probably tell by the amount your chimney is set into your "neighbours" roof. 4 1/2" means half brick, 9" means one brick thick (which is best).

In our row, the fireplaces are all on the west side - so they don't butt onto each other and chimneys aren't shared.
On the other side of me the roofline continues straight on and we measured a fencing line going by the middle of the party wall.
On the side in question, the neighbouring house is stepped up so the division is quite clear. My house adjoins his but is lower down. But for some reason the top part of my chimney is inset a little into his roof.
Di you get any further clarity on this? I'm in the same position my own chimney breast and chimney stack is on my left side of my house, the neighbours is on their left side with the left side of their chimney stack meeting with the edge of my roof the flash leading at my side needs repairing and wondering if it is my cost. The houses are not in the same level so next doors is higher than mine. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back