Who is responsible for chimney flashing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just been up into my loft and noticed rain water trickling down the wall on the inside at the point where the chimney stack of my neighbour comes in to his house on our adjoining wall.

I live in an end of terrace property (4 houses). Unlike many terraces the houses are not symmetrical but identical - so if you look from the street everyone's front door is on the right and their chimney/fireplace is on the left. The back of the neighbour's fireplace is therefore touching an ordinary wall in my house.

Would I therefore be responsible for repairing the flashing on my neighbour's chimney? It's a rented house so I fear that the landlord may try and make out that it's my responsibility as access to the flashing would be from my roof.

Sponsored Links
Landlords are responsible for the fabric of the building . You are responsible for reporting the problem.

Hi, I understand that but that isn’t my question. I was wondering if, because the chimney stack sits on the party wall, is there any possibility that I would have to potentially contribute toward the costs of repairing my neighbour’s chimney, bearing in mind that I also have my own chimney to maintain.

Sponsored Links
Get the flashing fixed before it becomes a problem.
It would be a lot cheaper and if done properly you won't have to worry about it for the next 50 odd years.

Me thinks it should be the neighbours responsibility. As you know about the leak I'd approach the owner and suggest to him thay he also needs to check inside his loft for leaks. If he has then that's your chance to get him to take on responsibility for the bill.
Has there been any roofing work done on your side that could have affected the flashing?

A lot of terraced property in Lancashire where I am based and I have always worked on the basis that almost all terraced property's have two chimneys to deal with when re-roofing as it effects the waterproofing of the customers property.

Hi, I understand that but that isn’t my question. I was wondering if, because the chimney stack sits on the party wall, is there any possibility that I would have to potentially contribute toward the costs of repairing my neighbour’s chimney, bearing in mind that I also have my own chimney to maintain.
It's flashing your roof tiles not the neighbours chimney. :rolleyes:

If you don't have a flue in the chimney then all the chimney belongs to the neighbour, but the flashing is flashing your roof and is yours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back