responsibility for chimney repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a mid terrace house and each house has their own chimney on the right side of the house....they are not shared with neighbours. When I was in my attic recently I noticed rain water running down the adjoining wall which forms the back of my neighbours chimney. Does anyone if my neighbour is responsible for repairs as it's her chimney or if it's mine because it's leaking down my wall. Would be very grateful for any advice as can't find legal position anywhere. many thanks

Sponsored Links
Impossible to say without looking. If the fault is your side of the party wall it's your responsibility. Don't see how the problem could be entirely your neighbour's - it would be a shared responsibility at best (from your point of view).

If the chimney is on the party line then effectively your roof is against it and it is your lead flashing up against the neighbours chimney - so it is your responsibility to remedy the leak

But any other lead gutters/flashing on the other three sides of the chimney would be the neighbours responsibility to maintain

If the cause of the leak is anything to do with the chimney itself (less likely by the sound of things), then that would be the neighbours responsibility

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back