Leaning Chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently noticed that the chimney at the back of my house seems to lean slightly to one side.
I'm a bit confused about this chimney though & I'm not even sure if it's mine or my neighbours (it's a terraced house). You see inside the house although there is a chimney breast in the ground floor back room - there isn't one on the first floor directly above it.
Any advice on what I should do about the leaning Chimney would be great.
Or if anyone knows why there's a chimney breast downstairs but not one right above it?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Unless you are using the chimney, it can be less trouble to have it taken down than repaired. The roof can then be re-made over the gap so it will be less prone to leaks and maintenance. If it is shared with your neighbour you will both have to agree. If they don't agree then I hope it is leaning towards their house.

The lean is probably caused by the prevailing wind causing acids from coal or gas fires to condense on the cold side and attack the mortar. If the chimney hasn't fallen down yet then there is no reason why it should not last another hundred years but you will feel happier if you ask someone competent to look at it. Chimney sweeps often know someone local who does chimney building work and knows more about them than the average builder.

Maybe your house was built without an upstairs fireplace, or maybe it has been removed. If it has been removed completely then the chimney from your downstairs room will be blocked (unless the walls are very thick)

Maybe someone has removed the first floor section of chimney. Potentially without adequate support, thus the chimney is leaning. In the end if its leaning your way then its your problem, or least of all you should get an engineer out to give it the once over.

Good point. When a chimney leans from acid flue gas, it bends over in a curve, towards the prevailing wind. It does not bend inside the roof space.

If you look in the loft you may be able to see if bits of chimney have been removed.

Also count the number of pots on the chimney. There will originally have been one pot for each fireplace.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back