leaning chimney..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just realised that the chimney on my house has begun to move away from my roof so that now there is a gap of about an inch inbetween the chimney and the roof :eek: This is visible from in the loft and from outside the house it's clear that the chimney is leaning away from the roof and the side of the house :eek: :eek: . Water now comes down the side of the chimney when it rains and a damp patch has appeared on the wall on the chimney breast. I'm going to go on the roof this weekend and put some flashing there temporarily, but rather than getting a builder in to pull down and re-build the top part of the chimney, is there a cheap way to "pull" the chimney back into place? Any advice much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Do you still use the chimney?

Is the chimney rendered or face brickwork?

The chimney is face brickwork. There is a gas fire but I've never used it. Going to get a new gas fire put in over the summer - not sure if that helps...

If you wasn't going to use it then I was going to suggest to knock it down down below the roof and re-tile the area.

It maybe because of poor pointing & not necessary to re-build, a bricklayer can advise you on this and at the same time get the bricklayer to put new flashing round the chimney.

Sponsored Links
If it has done all that moving recently then yes I would be worried and get it rebuilt better that then it all come crashing down through your roof or even worse crashing to the ground and killing someone.
I would get a few people to have a look for you and see what they say.

ruff,
here is one possible method of dealing with the stack:
1. take the stack brickwork down to just below the roof plane ie. below the slate or tile.
2. assuming no flue liner, then have the flue swept. Smoke test to be on the safe side.
3. set a gas terminal on top of the stack.
4. make good the roof material.
5. use a boot to flash the gas vent/terminal upstand where it pierces the roof line.
6. dont allow anybody on your roof unless they use a roof ladder.
7. now is the time to check-out the general condition of the roof, but tie in all ladders and use roof ladders.

let us know what is suggested and how you get on.

Sounds good to me,

I think if I remember rightly you can take the chimney breast down 24" minimum from the highest point of the roof??
So the snow cannot enter into the chimney I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back