Chimney leaning - should i be concerned?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My chimney looks like its leaning towards the roof. Should i be worried about it?

The house was built in 1880s and the chimney is not lined (had a log burner which the previous owner was using). Posted pictures of front and side(ish) view

Attachments

• 4B0B9E76-1856-4F09-93A2-8908E31E6808.jpeg
    4B0B9E76-1856-4F09-93A2-8908E31E6808.jpeg
    351.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 7D4B3CBE-6AF6-4272-A073-960A819DE7E8.jpeg
    7D4B3CBE-6AF6-4272-A073-960A819DE7E8.jpeg
    329.3 KB · Views: 107
Sponsored Links
Doesn't look like it's leaning by 1/3 of the thickness of the chimney so not really anything worth worrying about. Once the lean is greater than 1/3 of the thickness then there can be stability issues.
Might be worth getting it checked out to see if it needs repointing or rebuilt if the condition looks particularly bad.

Sponsored Links
What does it look like inside the loft?
Mortar is crumbly/sandy, from what I’ve found online it sounds like its corroded from chimney gases. I guess repointing this should stop any additional leaning? Or is the issue above the roofline?

Mortar is crumbly/sandy, from what I’ve found online it sounds like its corroded from chimney gases. I guess repointing this should stop any additional leaning? Or is the issue above the roofline?
The experts have commented above, but to me the chimney itself (although the image is poor) looks perpendicular - suggesting the lean begins somewhere below the roofline.
With the few slates that are displaced, and what may be evidence of some water staining down the side wall, it may be worth getting someone out to have a nosey anyway?

....and I'm probably completely wrong, are those tie plates on the side wall?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back