Is this chimney likely to collapse soon!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im thinking of buying a house. There is an obvious lean on one of the chimneys. On the interior walls by the chimney are cracks where the chimney is pulling away from the building. There are also cracks on the exterior wall by the chimney (I presume this is becuase of the lean).

My concern is that we're about to go into winter and I cant get a builder to take it down (its not needed so Im going to take it down altogether) for another 3 - 4 months!

Does this chimney look like it will collapse or am I being too alarmist? It may have been like that for many years and it will last a few more years. Or it might collapse in the next storm. Obviously it will be the first thing I get the builders to look at, but am I being too paranoid?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its all in the lap of the Gods, dont think anyone could tell you that information, other than to advise removing or repairing.

What does the Surveyors report say ?

If you are getting a Mortgage on the property the Building Society will put forward their conditions.

Sponsored Links
The surveyor didnt even mention the chimney in his Property Condition Report and Site Assessment report. Ive picked out all mentions he made of the roof:

==================================

The roof structure is hand cut timber forming joists and rafters bearing to ridges supported on king/queen posts and
timber wall plates built onto the masonry walls. The roof finish and structure appears to be in a generally satisfactory
condition and has had some additional support added.

The roof finish is slate tiles on slaters felt, There are a few areas where light can be seen through the tiles and this is
due to some missing / damaged tiles and some missing pointing.

Provide additional timber ties and struts to roof structure to prevent any further sagging.

Carry out roof repairs with regard to missing/damaged tiles and pointing to ridges and flashings to chimney stacks.

==================================

Another one of my concerns is those are asbestos tiles. Can you tell by looking at them? I know the roof was put on in the 1980's.

Never heard of roof spreading. Just been reading about it... not good. :/ Its worth saying that this property went to auction, so Im buying it knowing it needs extensive work (although would rather not have to completely re-roof it!!).

The roof is spreading buy another property.

Why?

The OP could get the price reduced based on the work required, buy the house, get the roof done and sort the stack out while they are up there.

Why?

The OP could get the price reduced based on the work required, buy the house, get the roof done and sort the stack out while they are up there.
How does it work when buying at auction? Surely the price bid is the price paid?

Is the surveyor wrong in not picking up on that chimney? It looks to be leaning to me!

How does it work when buying at auction? Surely the price bid is the price paid?

Arr yes, at auction the bidders would bid based on the amount of any work required.

But in my defence, I was replying to catlad's post which was before the OP mentioned a thing about auction. :sneaky:

Is the surveyor wrong in not picking up on that chimney? It looks to be leaning to me!

It may be just persepective. But if you did not instruct the surveyor, he has no duty to you, and you can't rely on his report.

I'm not sure why you are saying the roof is asbestos tiles when the Survey says it is slate?

You could always pay the surveyor or a builder familiar with renovation to give an estimate of the likely works.

They do look like asbestos... Some say tiles... others say Asbestos slate in fact its not slate at all... A square on picture would be definitive , In the picture you posted the hips are a give away.

I see. Just to be clear are we looking at total replacement given the roof spread? I take it that it is not possible to reuse these tiles if they were in reasonable condition?

Are they a lot heavier than slate like concrete tiles are? Is it this that has caused the roof spread?

The surveyor did say in his report (see above) "Provide additional timber ties and struts to roof structure to prevent any further sagging.". So hopefully ties will sort it and it wont need re-roofing?

If these are asbestos tiles: will removing the chimney mean the builders NEED to re-tile with non-asbestos tiles? Or can they just add new non-asbestos tiles to the hole where the chimney used to be?

Thanks all for your input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back