Is this chimney likely to collapse soon!?

Sponsored Links
Hi guys,

Im just reopening this thread to give you an update.

It concerned me what you guys said about possible roof-spreading. Ive had a couple of builders come out and they said it looks fine (although obviously they could give any guarantees which is understandable).

The surveyor (albeit working for the vendor in his Conditions Report) said:

The roof structure is hand cut timber forming joists and rafters bearing to ridges supported on king/queen posts and
timber wall plates built onto the masonry walls. The roof finish and structure appears to be in a generally satisfactory
condition and has had some additional support added.

My question is: How can I guarantee that the roof is fine and not roof-spreading? One builder has a structural engineer working for him, so should I ask him to look at the timber structure to make sure its strong enough to hold the roof? Would he give me a bit of paper saying "this roof is a safe structure"? I just want to be assured that the roof is sound and not rely on a builder's word for it.

Thanks

Get someone to take another look , check out the soffit in your pictures...something is moving or has moved.

Would the Structural Engineer be the person to do it and confirm it in writing?

Is the below picture showing what you mean? The builder did pick up on this and said he wouldnt know whats caused it until they were up there dismantling the chimney. What could have caused that!? As you see, it looks to have sunken inwards! (Maybe many years ago because the soffit itself looks intact)

soffit.jpg

Sponsored Links
yes your arrow is where I am talking about.
But also as well as that and on the end elevation there appears to be a large diagonal movement crack repair that has been patched ( not the vertical one on the corner)
An engineer with experience in this area might help..
The adjoining building Soffit and fascia look better from what I can see.
repairs are very likely possible .....but how much money do you want to spend?

You can't rely on someone else's appointed surveyor engineer, nor someone working for, or friends with a builder who may be getting some work from the report.

Instruct your own independent survey. Specifically mention any things you are concerned about like that massive crack in the side wall for instance.

Wow - youve got a keen eye. Yes, the builder mentioned that diagonal crack. Theres a few like that dotted around the walls(!) The builders have said the cracks are just settlement and common on a building of this age which hasnt been well maintained. Again, I suppose its hard for them to tell until they start get their hands on it to see whats going on. Their plan is going to knock off the blown patches of render and repatch with lime render (its cob).

You can't rely on someone else's appointed surveyor engineer, nor someone working for, or friends with a builder who may be getting some work from the report.

Instruct your own independent survey. Specifically mention any things you are concerned about like that massive crack in the side wall for instance.

Looking at this page, would you suggest the RICS Building Survey option? https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/a-guide-to-homebuyer-surveys-and-costs .

Its the roof and the exterior walls Im mostly concerned with.

If you choose a building surveyor, then you need to be clear that you want them to comment on structural matters, without them recommending further surveys from a structural engineer. Some can, some won't, some can't.

Otherwise, a structural engineer would be better to comment on the cause of movement.

But bare in mind that structural engineers won't normally comment on other things like damp, condition or maintenance issues - such as that chimney or the roof tiles..

You can tailor the survey to specific items, and don't need to go with a standard format.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back