Sealing Chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have closed( bricked) all the fires in the house. I'm just wondering how do I effectively seal the flue and disable the chimney all together ?

If I seal the flue, do I still need to install a ground brick at ground floor level by chimney breast to allow ventilation ?

Finally, If there are two chimney breasts downstairs, one for kitchen, one for lounge, if an brick needs to be installed, do I need an air brick in both chimney breasts or just one will allow the breasts to adequately ventilate ?

I'm trying to avoid installing air bricks for aesthetic purposes...

Sponsored Links
Best thing to do with a non-used chimney is to knock it down to below roof level and tile /slate it over.

Failing that drastic option you should cap the flue with a vented cap. You should also consider coating the outer brickwork of the chimney as it will soak up the water and let it out further down as the chimney isn't heating up to dry it out again.

Can't answer about the airbricks but I'm sure others on here will comment on that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back