chimney Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to "attack" the last of the stack in the loft but leaving the stack in place above the roof and some in the loft
hope this make sense.

black is part of the support beam .

My intention was to remove a small amount off the breast to insert support but am unable to now.

it is not easy to get if possible to get a acrow and strongboy in as there is nothing below the stack currently. loft hatch

As I intend to complete the task in a day can I get away with just taking out the stack and fitting my new support??

Sponsored Links
Am I correct in understanding that you want to take out the brick work below the black line without supporting it, just because you say it will not take long.

Yes.
In my mind it seems wrong but when the builders took ever thing out below thats what they did.
and seen a few done the same way!!!

The chimney breast would have been tied in which would have allowed the builders to remove the breast without propping, as you approach the chimneyhead there will be less ties to support the stack.

Sponsored Links
My initial thoughts are "why bother", why not leave the gathering flues in position. You will only gain another 300mm or so. Whereas you now have a traditional feature; after your proposal you will have a steel feature stealing the space!

Good advice given above, perhaps you will indicate where the in-situ flues stop - in the loft?

The C/breast remaining below a roof stack must have a drop dimension at least as deep as the highest brickwork ( the front face ) of that stack.

Perhaps you'd like to see: haringay.gov.uk/chimney_breast_removal

Cannot take full stack out as it is shared
It is being taken out to give a larger landing at the top of the stairs for my loft conversion.
I do need the width about 350-400mm as it means I have a "normal" staircase.

The stack does have more above the roof than below but all agreed by BR, and hence the "odd" support rather than gallows

The chimney breast would have been tied in which would have allowed the builders to remove the breast without propping, as you approach the chimneyhead there will be less ties to support the stack.
That's good advice. It is also more difficult to tie in when running the brickwork at an angle like that, as the courses don't run together as they would below. Have a close look and try and see if any look like they were tied in.

I have seen a lot of chimneys close up, and a lot resemble little more than a pile of bricks after a hundred years or so. but of coarse
I have not seen your chimney so its your call. I would not chance it without supporting first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back