CHIMNEY STACK DOESN'T HAVE A POT/COWL FOR BURNT GAS EMISSION

I might add that on this estate, built in the 60s, dozens of houses have the same chimney stack with a concrete slab atop & side "vents". Unless the law has changed recently i cant understand how this is suddenly unacceptable.
The irony is that the same Gas Safe guy fitted my previous gas fire 6 years ago without question!
The HE fire I have purchased is 89% efficient (flavel). However if i have to spend £100s on additional possibly unnecessary work, i will stay as i am.
Best to obtain a 2nd Gas Safe opinion & decide from there.

Sponsored Links
It may be that the same Guy had made a mistake and has been made aware of it. I agree it is strange but I don't know what changes (if any) have been made in the last six years that would cause him to now advise it is not acceptable.

Because you mentioned that he asked for a pot it made me wonder if the height of the vents was the reason for his comment so I did some digging and found the image below that illustrates some no-go areas. Is it possible yours is too low?

You might be on to something there, Blagard. The vents are above the roof top but not sure if it's 600mm. To be fair the Gas Safe guy has 'phoned the organisation for advice & they have advised we have a pot or gas cowl. Looks like it's hand in pocket time.

Thanks very much for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Ignore Blaggard he doesnt know what he is talking about he is just confusing the matter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back